David Burks, M.D.
Phone: (352) 273-5550
Fax: (352) 273-5575
Department of Neurology
Room L3-100, McKnight Brain Institute
1149 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL 32611
Department of Neurology
University of Florida College of Medicine
HSC Box 100383
Gainesville, FL 32610-0236
|Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls Texas||B.S.||1974-1979||Biology/Chemistry|
|University of Texas Medical School @ San Antonio||M.D.||1979-1983||Medicine|
|Tulane Medical Center||Int/Residency||1993-1997||Neurology|
|Tulane Medical Center||Fellowship||1997-1998||Electrophysiology|
|University of Florida||Fellowship||1998-2000||Behavioral Neurology|
Dr. David Walter Burks received his M.D. degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio in 1983 and subsequently completed his Neurology residency at Tulane University in New Orleans Louisiana. He completed a fellowship in electrophysiology at Tulane University and later completed a fellowship in Neurobehavioral Neurology under Dr. Kenneth Heilman at the University of Florida in 2000. He subsequently joined the faculty of the University of Florida as an Assistant Professor of Neurology upon completion of this fellowship and has remained with the department since.
Dr. Burks is also a staff physician at the Malcom Randall and Lake City Veteran Administration Health Care Centers.
He is co-director of the North Florida/South Georgia multiple Sclerosis Center of Excellence.
His key areas of interest are the neurological substrates of memory and language and artificial intelligence.
American Academy of Neurology
Alachua County Medical Society
Center for Neuropsychological Studies
Society for Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology
Diplomat, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Burks D.W., Barrett A.M., Crucian G.P., Heilman K.M. Neglect Crossover Effect:Atentional or Intentional Neurology 52 (suppl 2): A461, 1999 (Abstract).
- Burks, D.W., Heilman, K.M. Ipsilateral neglect: Reverse Spatial Bias or Crossover Effect, a Power Function Analysis. Neurology 54 (suppl 3), A206 (Abstract)
- Hughes, J.D., Burks, D.W., DeGrabba, T.J., Heilman, K.M., Spatial Attentional Bias Associated with Brainstem Pathology. Neurology 54 (2000) (suppl 3). A205 (Abstract)
- Reistra, A.R., Barrett, A.M., Crucian, G.R., Burks, D.W., Heilman, K.M., Neglect, Working Memory and Extinction. Neurology 54 (2000) (suppl 3), A205
- Crucian, G.P., Barrett, A.M., Burks, D.W., Reistra, A., Roth, H.L., Schwartz, R.L., Triggs, W.J., Bowers, D.,Freidman, W., Greer, M., Heilman, K.M. Object Spatial Orientation in Parkinson’s Disease. J Int Neuropsychol Soc 2003 Nov;9(7):1078-87
- Effects of Donepezil on and Verbal Memory after Semantic Processing in Healthy Elder Adults. Fitzgerald, D., Crucian, G., Mielke, J., Shenal, B., Burks, D., Womack, K., Ghacibeh, G., Drago, V., Foster, P., Valenstein, E., and Heilman, K.. Cognitive Behavioral Neurology, Vol. 21 (2), June 2008, pp57-64.