Yan Zhang, Ph.D.
Yan Zhang, Ph.D.
Phone: (352) 273-9192
Fax: (352) 273-5575
Department of Neurology
Room L1-132, McKnight Brain Institute
1149 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL. 32611
Department of Neurology
University of Florida College of Medicine
HSC Box 100236
Gainesville, FL 32610-0236
|2001 – 2004||Ph.D Student, In Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai, China|
|1998 – 2001||Postgraduate Student, in Medical Genetics, West China University of Medical Science, Chengdu, China|
|1992 – 1996||Undergraduate Student, in Biology Science, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China|
|2009 – Present||Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Neurology,University of Florida, FL, USAMentor: Pedro Fernandez-Funez, Ph.D & Diego Rincon-Linmas, Ph.D|
|2007 – 2009||Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, TX, USAMentor: Pedro Fernandez-Funez, Ph.D & Diego Rincon-Linmas, Ph.D|
|2005 – 2007||Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, TX, USAMentor: Jian-Li Dong, M.D. & Ph.D|
|2004 – 2005||Research associate, Shanghai Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai, ChinaMentor: Professor Yi-Tao Zeng|
|2001 – 2004||Ph.D Student, Shanghai Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai, ChinaMentor: Professor Yi-Tao Zeng|
|1998 – 2001||Postgraduate Student, West China University of Medical Science, Chengdu, ChinaMentor: Professor Yang-Chao Zhai & Professor Bai-Lin Liu|
Honors and Awards
Ph.D. Graduate with Honor, Shanghai Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai Second Medical University, China – 2004
Scholarship for Outstanding Graduate Student, Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, West China University of Medical Science, China – 2001
First Scholarship of Japanese Drugs Manufacture, Chinese Ministry of Health, China – 2000
Zhang Y, Huang SZ, Zeng YT. Methods for development a transgenic mouse model for liver disease and its application. Application Number: 200410054086.2
- Zhang Y, Qu Y, Liu SQ and Liu BL. Study on telomerase reverse transcriptase catalytic subunit gene expression in human tumor cells. Acta Sichuan University, (2000) 37: 255-258.
- Zhang Y and Liu BL. Progress on the methods of detecting telomerase activity in human tumor. Foreign Medical Sciences, Clinical Section, (2001) 22:234-235.
- Tao RC, Zhang Y, Li BQ. A Study on the loss of heterozygosity of microsatellite motif at chrosome 3p 9p in oral precancer and oral cancer. J Modern Stomatolgy, (2002) 15:110-113.
- Zhang Y and Huang SZ. Models of hepatocyte repopulation. China biotechnology, (2003) 23: 5-8.
- Zhang Y, Liu SQ, Yi Q, Li XH, Wang FL, Dong W and Liu BL. Preliminary analysis on human telomerase reverse transcriptase gene expression in acute leukemia. Chinese journal of medical genetics, (2003) 20: 61-63.
- Zhang Y, Huang SZ and Zeng YT. The effect of HSVtk/GCV on hepatic specific damage driven by murine ALB promoter/enhancer. Acta Genetica Sinica, (2004) 31: 1053-1060.
- Zhang Y, Huang SZ, Wang S and Zeng YT. Development of an HSV-tk transgenic mouse model for study of liver damage. FEBS Journal, (2005) 272: 2207–2215.
- Liu FT and Zhang Y. Heterochromatin protein 1 deleted chromo domain decreases gene silencing of transgene in mouse. Biotechnol Lett, (2006) 28: 419-424.
- Zhao YH, Zhang Y*, Yang Z, Li A and Dong JL. Simultaneous knockdown of BRAF and expression of INK4A in melanoma cells leads to potent growth inhibition and apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, (2008) 370: 509-513. * Co-first author
- Fernandez-Funez P, Casas-Tinto S, Zhang Y, Gómez-Velazquez M, Morales-Garza MA, Cepeda-Nieto AC, Castilla J, Soto C and Rincon-Limas DE. In Vivo Generation of Neurotoxic Prion Protein: Role for Hsp70 in Accumulation of Misfolded Isoforms. PLoS Genet. (2009) 5(6): e1000507.
- Fernandez-Funez P, Zhang Y, Casas-Tinto S, Rincon-Limas DE. Sequence-dependent prion protein misfolding and neurotoxicity. J Biol Chem. (2010) 285:36897-908.
- Casas-Tinto S, Zhang Y*, Sanchez-Garcia J, Gomez-Velazquez M, Rincon-Limas DE, and Fernandez-Funez P. The ER stress factor XBP1s prevents amyloid-β Neurotoxicity. Hum Mol Genet. (2011) 20:2144-2160. *Co-first author
- Fernandez-Funez P, Zhang Y, Sanchez-Garcia J, Kurt J, Zou WQ and Rincon-Limas DE. Pulling rabbits to reveal the secrets of the prion protein. Communicative & Integrative Biology, (2011) 4:262-266,