David Brandon Burtis, D.O.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Phone: (352) 273-5550
Fax: (352) 273-5575
Department of Neurology
Shands Medical Plaza
2000 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL. 32610
Although it was his original intention to have a career in Physical Therapy, it was a neurologist who peeked Dr. Burtis’ interest in the brain during his undergraduate studies. and one of his professors at Grand Canyon University who encouraged him to switch his career to Medicine. After medical school at Kansas City University and residency at University of Kentucky, Dr. Burtis came to the University of Florida as a fellow under the mentorship of Dr. Kenneth M. Heilman in Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology. He had a primary interest in Neurodegenerative disorders, particularly dementia. Part of his fellowship training and research was funded by a NIDCD/NIH grant where his interest grew in Autonomic dysfunction and Attentional disorders.
His training has prepared him to practice the broad and challenging discipline of ambulatory General Neurology as well as enter the new and exciting field of Neuro-Hospital Medicine. As a Neuro-Hospitalist Dr. Burtis is able to apply his training and skills to serve those patients admitted to UF Health with complex and critical neurological conditions. This also enables him to “pay back” his mentors by educating residents and medical students in this challenging field. As a Neuro-Hospitalist he regularly collaborates with faculty from other departments to provide the seamless and coordinated care patients hospitalized at UF Health deserve.
July 2010-June 2012
|“Training in Treatment of Communication Disorders and Translational Neuroscience”||University of Florida, College of Medicine
July 2009 – June 2010
|Cognitive & Behavioral||University of Florida, College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
June 2005 – June 2009
|Neurology, Chief Resident 2008-2009||University of Kentucky, College of Medicine
July 2004 – June 2005
|Internal Medicine||Northside Hospital & Tampa Bay Heart Institute||St. Petersburg, FL|
|Degree: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine||Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
|Kansas City, MO|
|B.S. Biology||Grand Canyon University||Phoenix, AZ|
- General Neurology
- Neurodegenerative Diseases, Dementia
- Autonomic Disorders
Certification and Licensure
Florida State Medical License
Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Member of the Florida Society of Neurology
- Member of the American Academy of Neurology
- Member of the Society for Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology
- Member of the International Neuropsychological Society
- Member of the Neurohospitalist Society
Honors & Awards
- UF Health/Shands Physician Customer Service Key Award, February 2015
- AAN Annual Meeting Fellowship Scholarship, April 2012
- Chief Resident 2008-09
- Alpha Omega Alpha. Inducted February 2009
- UK Clinical Housestaff Teaching Award , September 2007-08, 2008-09
- 2011 Course Co-Director, 37th Annual Course in Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neurology: Cognitive Changes in Traumatic Brain Injury. Florida Neurology Society. Orlando, FL. September 16-18th, 2011.
- J. Kiffin Penry Epilepsy Mini-Fellowship Program: January 2008
- Annual Multiple Sclerosis Symposium at University of Kentucky: February 2008-09
- American Academy of Neurology in New Orleans: April 2012
- American Academy of Neurology in Toronto: April 2010
- American Academy of Neurology in Chicago: April 2008
- International Neuropsychological Society in Montreal: February 2012
- International Neuropsychological Society in Boston: February 2011
- Annual Course in Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neurology in Orlando, FL: 2009-12
Grants and Contract Awards
Postdoctoral Fellowship: [July 2010 – June 2012]
“Training in Treatment of Communication Disorders and Translational Neuroscience” (TNCSD), funded by NIDCD/NIH (1T32DC008768-01).
University of Florida, College of Medicine
Department of Neurology
Lead Mentor: Kenneth M. Heilman, MD
Co-Mentor: Leslie Gonzalez-Rothi, PhD, Director, TNCSD Fellowship Program
Co-Mentor: Stephen Nadeau, MD, Co-Director, TNCSD Fellowship Program
Sample of Publications
- Finney, G.R., Williamson, J.B., Burtis, D.B., Drago, V., Mizuno, T., Jeong, Y., Crucian, G.P., Haque, S., Heilman, K.M. The Effects of Chronic Right Hemispheric Damage on the Allocation of Spatial Attention: Alterations of Accuracy and Reliability. JINS 2015; 21(5): 373-7. doi: 10.1017/S1355617715000338.
- Williamson, J.B., Haque, S., Burtis, D.B., Harciarek, M., Lamb, D., Zilli, E., Heilman, K.M. The Influence of Stimulus Proximity on Judgments of Spatial Relationships in Patients with a Chronic Unilateral Right and Left Hemisphere Stroke. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2014; 36(8): 787-93. doi: 10.1080/13803395.2014.940855.
- Burtis, D.B., Heilman, K.M., Mo, J., Wang, C., Lewis, G.F., Davilla, M.I., Ding, M., Porges, S.W., Williamson, J.B. The Effects of Constrained Left versus Right Monocular Viewing on the Autonomic Nervous System. Biological Psychology 2014; July; 100: 79-85. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsycho.2014.05.006.
- Behforuzi, H., Burtis, D.B., Williamson, J.B., Stamps, J.J., Heilman, K.M. Impaired initial vowel versus consonant letter-word fluency in dementia of the Alzheimer’s type. Cognitive Neuroscience 2013; Sep-Dec; 4(3-4): 163-70. doi: 10.1080/17588928.2013.854200.
- Falchook, A.D., Burtis, D.B., Acosta, L.M., Salazar, L., Hedna, V.S., Khanna, A.Y., Heilman, K.M. Praxis and writing in right-hander with crossed aphasia. Neurocase 2014; June; 20(3): 317-27. doi: 10.1080/13554794.2013.770883.
- Burtis, D.B., Williamson, J.B., Mishra, M., Heilman, K.M. The Blindside: Impact of monocular occlusion on spatial attention. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2013; Mar; 35(3): 291-7. doi: 10.1080/13803395.2013.770824.
- Heilman, K.M., Leon, S., Burtis, D.B., Ashizawa, T., Subramony, S.H. Affective Communication Deficits Associated with Cerebellar Degeneration. Neurocase 2014; 20(1): 18-26. doi: 10.1080/13554794.2012.713496.
- Falchook, A.D., Mayberry, R.I., Poizner, H., Burtis, D.B., Doty, L., Heilman, K.M. Sign Language Aphasia from a Neurodegenerative Disease. Neurocase 2013; 19(5); 434-44. doi: 10.1080/13554794.2012.690427.
- Harciarek, M., Williamson, J.B., Burtis, B., Hague, S., Heilman, K.M. Ipsilateral Neglect from a Subcortical Lesion: Effects of Spatial Position, Distractors, and Repeated Trials. Cogn Behav Neurol 2012; 25(1): 42-49. doi: 10.1097/WNN.0b013e3182491465.
- Kwon, J.C., Cohen, M.L., Williamson, J.B., Burtis, B., Heilman, K.H. Bimanual-Vertical Hand Movements. JINS 2011; 17(4): 732-739. doi: 10.1017/S135561771100066X.
- Cohen, M.L., Burtis, B., Kwon, J.C., Williamson, J.B., Heilman, K.H. Action-intentional spatial bias in a patient with posterior cortical atrophy. Neurocase 2010; 16 (6): 529-34. doi: 10.1080/13554794.2010.487827.