Guangbin Xia, M.D., Ph.D.
Office Phone: (352) 273-5550
Fax: (352) 273-5575
Clinic Phone: (352) 265-8408
Fax: (352) 627-4175
Department of Neurology
McKnight Brain Institute
1149 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL. 32611
Education, Training and Professional Background
M.D. – Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Ph.D. – Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Intern – University of Virginia
Resident – University of Texas Medical Branch and University of Florida
Fellowship – Neuromuscular Medicine/University of Florida
Trainee – Clinical Research Consortium for Spinocerebellar Ataxias/NIH
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Board Certification – American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Subspecialty Board – Neuromuscular Medicine/ABPN
- American Academy of Neurology
- Induced pluripotent stem cells: Dr. Xia’s research interest is disease-specific induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell in the application of neurodegenerative disorders. Among them, spinocerebellar ataxias (SCAs) and Myotonic Dystrophy type 1 (DM1) are his current research focus. Dr. Xia is working closely with Dr. Terada. They have successfully established normal iPS cell lines and disease-specific cell lines for SCA 2, SCA 3 and cell lines for DM1 with long and short pathologic repeats. They are characterizing the cell lines as disease cellular models. These disease-specific iPS cells will create a platform for the investigation of disease mechanism and drug development. Correction of mutated gene in iPS cells is challenging but is the critical step for future cell replacement therapy.
- Neuropathology: Dr. Xia’s is working on Neuropathology of SCA 10, SCA 3 and Myotonic Dystrophy type in collaboration with Dr.Yachnis on autopsy tissues.
- Clinical trials: Dr. Xia’ clinical research interest is therapy of gait incoordination in SCAs. Currently. He is working on a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover clinical trial of “Therapeutic effect of Dalfampridine on gait incoordination in spinocerebellar ataxias”.
Dr. Xia is a board-certified Neurologist and is also board-certified in Neuromuscular Medicine. He holds hospital privileges for EMG/NCS, muscle biopsy and skin biopsy. His clinical experience includes management of patients with motor neuron diseases, neuropathies, myasthenia gravis, myopathy/muscular dystrophies and other neuromuscular disorders.