Miguel Chuquilin, MD
Phone: (352) 273-5550
Fax: (352) 273-5575
Department of Neurology
Room L3-100, McKnight Brain Institute
1149 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL. 32611
Department of Neurology
University of Florida College of Medicine
HSC Box 100236
Gainesville, FL 32610-0236
Dr. Chuquilin received his medical degree from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Lima, Peru in 2003. He completed his neurology residency in 2010 and neuromuscular medicine and EMG fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis, MO in 2011. He then joined the Faculty at the University of Missouri in Columbia as Assistant Professor of Neurology in 2011. He served as the multidisciplinary MU ALS treatment center Director at the ALS clinic which opened in 2015. He also attended the Muscular Dystrophy Association clinic at the University of Missouri in Columbia. He joined the Faculty at the University of Florida in 2016.
Dr. Chuquilin is board certified in neurology (ABPN), neuromuscular medicine (ABPN) and electrodiagnostic medicine (AANEM). He is also a member of the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM) Electrodiagnostic Self-Assessment Examination (SAE) Committee since 2015.
His clinical interests include neuromuscular junction disorders, autonomic disorders, motor neuron disease, myopathies, muscle and nerve biopsy and general neurology. He also does Botulinum toxin injection for migraine prophylaxis, occipital nerve blocks and skin biopsies to evaluate for small fiber neuropathy.
|2010-11||Fellowship Neuromuscular Medicine||Washington University||St. Louis, MO|
|2007-09||Residency Neurology||Washington University||St. Louis, MO|
|2006-07||Internship Internal Medicine||Washington University||St. Louis, MO|
|1996-2003||Medical School||Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University||Lima, Peru|
2010 – American Academy of Neurology
2012 – American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Awards and Honors
2002 Medical School Class Valedictorian. Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University. Lima, Peru.
2010 Resident Scholarship to the AAN Annual Meeting.
- Chuquilin M, Govindarajan R, Peck D, Font-Montgomery E. Response to letter to the editor: Why does Leigh syndrome respond to immunotherapy?. Mol Gen Metab Reports 2016; 8: 85-86. DOI:10.1016/j.ymgmr.2016.08.003.
- Kuruvilla M, Isabelle A, Chuquilin M. Effects of clear speech on articulatory kinematics in talkers with ALS. Int J Speech-Language Path. Submitted July 2016.
- Perugula M, Uppal G, Chuquilin M. Acute demyelinating polyneuropathy as presentation of hereditary neuropathy with liability to pressure palsies in a patient that exercised regularly in the Army. J Clin Neuromusc Dis, accepted for publication July 2016.
- Chuquilin M, Govindarajan R, Peck D, Font-Montgomery E. Response to immunotherapy in a patient with adult onset Leigh syndrome and T9176C mtDNA mutation. Mol Gen Metab Reports 2016; 8:28-32. DOI: 10.1016/j.ymgmr.2016.06.004.
- Chuquilin M. Persistent nasal speech in a myasthenia gravis patient. Neurol Clin Pract (published online March 21, 2016),DOI:10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000246.
- Chuquilin M, Mullaguri N, Weinshenker B. Pediatric familial neuromyelitis optica in two sisters with long term follow up. J Clin Neurosci (2016).DOI:10.1016/j.jocn.2016.01.009
- Chuquilin M, Dhand U. Erythromelalgia-like presentation of chronic acquired demyelinating polyneuropathy in setting of past alcohol abuse. J Neuromusc Dis 2016, 26 (2) 176-180. DOI: 10.1016/j.nmd.2015.11.007.
- Chuquilin M, Alghalith Y, Fernandez K. Neurocutaneous disease: part 1: Cutaneous Neuroanatomy and mechanism of itch and pain. J Am Acad Dermatol 2016; 74:197-212. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaad.2015.04.060.
- Thandra A, Jun B, Chuquilin M. Papilloedema and increased intracranial pressure as a result of unilateral jugular vein thrombosis. Neuro-Ophthalmology 2015; 39 (4):179-182. DOI: 10.3109/01658107.2015.1044541.
- Chuquilin M, Al-Lozi M. Primary amyloidosis presenting as “dropped head syndrome”. Muscle and Nerve. 2011; 43: 905-909. DOI: 10.1002/mus.22049.
- Pestronk A, Chuquilin M, Choksi, R. Motor neuropathies and serum IgM binding to NS6S heparin disaccharide or GM1 Ganglioside. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2010; 81:726-730. DOI: 10.1136/jnnp.2009.202796.
- Kawano-Castillo J, Chuquilin-Arista M, Tipismana-Barbaran M, Vizcarra-Escobar D. [Factors associated with delayed hospital treatment for patients with acute cerebrovascular disease-in Spanish]. Rev Neurol 2007; 44: 264-8.
- Chuquilin M. [Knowledge and source of information about myocardial infarction and stroke in a group of patients from the Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia and workers from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia]. Thesis presented to obtain the Medical Degree. Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia. Lima, Peru. 2003.