The College of Medicine was founded in 1956 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2006. Neurology, originally a division of the Department of Medicine, became a department in 1974 with Dr. Melvin Greer as its first Chair. At that time, the department had only five full-time faculty neurologists, but nevertheless had an international reputation for research and patient care in epilepsy under Dr. B.J. Wilder (now Professor emeritus) and behavioral neurology under Dr. Kenneth M. Heilman. In recent years, the faculty has expanded to thirty-eight full-time faculty members.