Neurology Resident Noon Didactics occur Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12:00 pm to 1:00pm in the Neuromedicine Tower 5th floor conference room. The program director and educational chief resident annually organize comprehensive list of topics for didactic presentations by faculty or residents. During July, an emergency neurology “bootcamp” series offers practical, case-based training on the basics of inpatient neurology. In August, a similar approach is taken for outpatient neurology, using Biller’s Practical Neurology to guide foundational education in symptoms-specific workup. In September through June, didactics are organized into monthly blocks to cover all neurology subspecialties. Dedicated preparation for the February neurology in-service examination (RITE) occurs in January and February, with focused review that includes neuroanatomy, neuropathology, neuroradiology and basic neurosciences.
Grand Rounds are held on Tuesday from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm in the DeWeese Auditorium of the McKnight Brain Institute. A departmental faculty member or prominent guest lecture is featured weekly. Senior residents are tasked with presenting a topical review (PGY3s) or a clinicopathological case conference (PGY4s) annually.
Morning Report occurs daily from 8:00 to 8:30 am in the Neuromedicine Tower, room 5546. This interactive conference is attended by faculty, residents, rotators, and medical students from the inpatient rotations. An interesting case is discussed in depth, including localization, differential diagnosis, and treatment options.
Resident Business Meeting is held on Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm in the Neuromedicine Tower, room 5546. This is a weekly meeting for residents to express any concerns to the residency program director and brainstorm solutions. Many residents feel that having an avenue to advocate for their own experience is the highlight of the residency! Supplemental curriculum such as transitions to practice, ethics, wellness, quality, and practice habits are also presented on a rotating schedule during the meeting. Lunch is provided.
Chairman’s Meeting occurs on the fourth Monday of the month during noon didactics. This is a forum for the residents to meet directly with the Chair of Neurology for an informal discussion of leadership training, job search and contract negotiations, practice information, and any other topics of interest to the residents. Lunch is provided.
Peer Review is held during Grand Rounds. The Peer Review Committee (comprised of the Neurology Physician Director of Quality [PDQ] and other faculty) discusses inpatient cases in which there was an opportunity for improvement in patient care or safety. Residents are welcome and encouraged to attend for educational purposes and quality feedback.
Board Review Sessions are held on multiple evenings in January/February in preparation for the RITE exam. Although these sessions are optional, residents find them to be especially useful. PGY4s are particularly encouraged to take part in this activity in anticipation of their ABPN boards later in the year.
Program Evaluation Committee meetings are held quarterly in the McKnight Brain Institute (rotating schedule). This committee is comprised of the Program Director, APDs, education-focused faculty, and at least one resident from each year of training. The focus is on opportunities for continuous improvement and development of all aspects of our residency program.
Nearly all subspecialty divisions hold standing educational conferences that residents are welcome to attend as time and interest permit. Residents are directed to the UF Neurology website and the contact individuals listed below for the most up-to-date list of conferences.
Vascular Neurology (contact: Dr. Wilson):
- Stroke neuroradiology conference: 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month from 1:00 to 2:00 in the Neuroradiology conference room, Neuromedicine Hospital
- Stroke Committee meeting (interdisciplinary quality improvement meeting): 2nd Thursday of the month from 1:00-2:00 in conference room 7546, Neuromedicine Hospital
- Stroke journal club/guest speaker: 4th Thursday of the month from 1:00-2:00 in the 1329 Building
- Interdisciplinary vascular case review: 3rd Monday of the month from 7:00-8:00 in conference room 4546, Neuromedicine Hospital (quarterly)
- Transcranial doppler review: 3rd Thursday of the month from 8:00-9:00 in the TCD workroom, Neurology clinic, first floor Neuromedicine Hospital
Neuroimmunology (contact: Dr. Gyang): Weekly educational conference on Thursday in the Fixel Center starting at 12:00.
Behavioral Neurology (contact: Dr. Jaffee):
- Center for Neuropsychological Studies: Friday from 1:15 to 2:30 pm, 3rd floor VA conference room). Research is presented by Center faculty, fellows, or invited guests. The format varies: case presentations, informal discussions, prepared debates, and formal lectures are all included.
- Dementia Consensus Conference: Tuesday from 1:30 to 2:30 pm. This is a multidisciplinary conference of neurologists, neuropsychologists, neuroradiologists, and speech pathologists set up by the Memory and Cognitive Disorders Program to review the diagnostic evaluation of patients with memory and cognitive disorders. Items reviewed including history, neurological examination, neuropsychological testing, laboratory studies, and neuroimaging (both structural and functional). Discussion leads to development of consensus diagnoses for patients from the Memory and Cognitive Disorders Clinics. Attendees will gain valuable insights into how diagnosis is made in subtle and difficult cases of neurodegeneration, related behavioral neurology disorders, and mimics.
Epilepsy educational conferences (contact: Dr. Hella):
- Shands: Tuesday from 8:00 to 10:00 am in room R4-133.
- VA: EEG reading sessions on Friday from 10:00-11:00. EEG Case Conference from 11:00-12:00
Movement Disorders Clinical Conference (contact: Dr. Malaty):
- Case presentations or research talks: Tuesday at 8:00 am in the McKnight Brain Institute auditorium
- Fellow didactic lectures: 1st Tuesday of the month from 10:00-11:00 in MBI Chairman’s conference room
- DBS Interdisciplinary Meeting: 2nd Tuesday of the month at 9:00 am in the MBI auditorium
- 4th Tues- 10am Clinical trials meeting: 4th Tuesday of the month at 10:00 in the MBI auditorium
Neuromuscular muscle-nerve pathology conference (contact: Dr. Chuquilin): 3rd Friday of each month from 9:00-10:00.
Neuro-Oncology Conferences (contact: Dr. Ghiaseddin, Department of Neurosurgery):
- Tumor Board: Tuesday 4:00-5:00, Neuromedicine Hospital, UB1551 on the first floor
- Clinical Review Meeting: Thursday 2:00-4:00, Mcknight Brain Institute L5-101
- Clinical Trial Meeting Thursday 1:15-2:15 pm, Mcknight Brain Institute L5-101)
- Wells Brain Tumor Grade Student/Postdoc seminar: Friday 10am-12pm, Mcknight Brain Institute L2-101
Pediatric Neurology Conferences: Tuesdays 7:30 to 8:00 am (teaching conference) followed by Pediatric Neurology Morning report 8:00 to 9:00 am.
Psychiatry Grand Rounds: Friday 12:00 – 1:00 pm, DeWeese auditorium, Ground floor MBI.